Monday, June 2, 2008

THE ROMANCE

I’m not sure “Chick Flicks” is the term I’m looking for when I talk about films that lean toward the ‘girlie’ side. I guess ‘Romantic Comedy’ is the latest term for the films I’m talking about---films women love to watch—especially on those desperate, feeling down, indulging, slumber party, chocolate and ice cream days. This is by far my MOST favorite genre of film.

There’s something soothing to Duchess about the same old story of boy meets girl, girl doesn’t really like boy, they banter, boy does something wonderful to win girl’s heart, then boy and girl live happily ever after. You know…“Love is a Battlefield” type deal. Predictable? Of course. That’s their highly criticized fault from most film critics. The reality is---they simply make the world a happier place. The concluding harmony is all I need to walk out of the theater with a smile on my face able to make it through the rest of the day with a ‘warm fuzzy’ feeling in my heart. That’s the fabulous part of a successful romantic comedy!

I watched 2 of my favorites back-to-back with DVDs on TV the other night. They aired Maid in Manhattan followed by 13 Going on 30. Another, The Wedding Planner, is showing right now. I really have toooo many favorite RCs to list them all. That’s not unusual for most women. I would even argue this is the largest category listing of films in the Netflix vault (I don’t know for sure and don’t want to do the research). In reflection, this might be the category I tackle this summer (since summer is the time of year I watch an enormous amount of movies)….with joy.

Confession: I have watched a few new films this week, but don’t want to spend the time to critique them. I saw Untraceable and In America. All Duchess will say is this: Untraceable is good and most likely one that men would enjoy watching for its techie side, In America (biopic) is too sad to watch (plus a few other issues).

No comments: