Sunday, June 22, 2008

REEL REVIEWS

The Girl in the Café
(A Netflix film recommendation)
My first thought about this movie: Charming dry British mannerisms. This is definitely ‘chick flick’ material, although not so much a comedy. Basic premise--you randomly meet someone over a cup of coffee, find out more about them in awkward exchanges and then you try to make a go of it. There are moments in watching when giggling over the events is refreshing. This extremely shy government employee struggles with the personal aspects of a possible relationship. His political connection is important to the story line and to why the girl in the cafe is so important. This film made me smile---only because there is something so sweet and simple in the exchanges. Warning: this story has been told many times before so don’t expect any surprises. Satisfying element for Duchess: much of the story is told with pictures and not words. I would recommend watching only to those who like foreign films. (I struggled for days trying to write a review of this movie. I can’t find the right words for a review. I finally gave in and just wrote something.)

The Bucket List
The trailers for this film tricked us (me) into thinking there would be comedy and adventure. Regrettably, this film is more about the process of death planning more than making the most of what time you have left. Jack and Morgan were great picks for the leads. It does make you wonder…if you knew you only had a short time to live and money was no object, what would you do?? The beginning is slow while the director fills us in on all the medical/doctor coldness. Though short, the “list” itself is full of fantastic items. Each list item is fulfilled in a unique way which adds to the charm. There are majestic sights to be seen from their travels. The film does redeem itself in the end not through comedy, but through heart-felt and touching interactions. The final scene leaves you with that warm-fuzzy feeling-- reassuring us that friendship and human relationships will always be the most important thing on earth. Overall, I'm glad I saw the film. I most likely wouldn't watch it again.

I think that makes 41 more to go.... I'll never catch up.

No comments: