Thursday, December 11, 2008

SNOW!

It was so warm over the Thanksgiving holidays, my nephew from the Pacific Northwest couldn’t believe he was wearing shorts late November. My niece even bought a pair of sunglasses while she was here. We had a week of perfect weather. When their visit was over, we were taking them to the airport and my nephew asked, “How long has it been since it has snowed here?” I said, “I think about 4 years. It doesn’t stay very long. It’s always a light snow.” Was he foreshadowing?

Yesterday we had SNOW! Crazy. Not as much snow south of town where we live, but the boys were able to make a few snowballs to throw at each other. The north side of town had much more. We aren’t prepared for this kind of weather here on the Gulf Coast, so there is a flurry of activity with the newsmen informing drivers of road closures, bridge closings, etc. standing in the below freezing wind chill they hardly ever have to endure. The stores here sell winter clothing, but no one ever buys it! No need. The sun is out this morning. The high today is expected to be 55 degrees.

I took a few pictures so the PNW’s (and family from MN) would believe me when I said we had snow. I’m sure we’ll get teased. “They call that snow?” :) My boys had a great time last night jumping on the trampoline while it was snowing. It didn’t seem real. What a memory that will be.

Hurricane Ike this summer... A record breaking snow early December…

No comments: