Sunday, December 7, 2008

REEL REVIEWS

Really, really surprising to me (!) is the realization that I didn’t meet my goal of watching 45 films this past summer (see previous blogs). I don’t know what happened! I didn’t even come close—not even half. I’ll chalk it up to a busy life. In the ‘big picture’ that’s probably better than sitting alone to watch movies.
THE DARK KNIGHT
This movie is dark (literally), eerie, creepy, disturbing, bizarre and stimulating all at the same time. For being the first Batman movie I’ve ever watched, my first thought was this ‘good guy’ is not like any we’ve known before. Yes, it’s a typical super hero story line--that’s a given. Through all the crime fighting and off-center mentality, you in some wicked way want the rest of the story. Plus, despite all the darkness, you truly come to a heartfelt embrace for Batman—and what he stands for. Christian Bale is a first-rate choice for Bruce Wayne. I profile Mr. Bale and Bruce Wayne as one. He’s handsome, charming and intelligent, yet there is something deep in the eyes that holds heartache and anger along with the will to fight for justice. Just my take (and my BILs). Michael Caine as Alfred is casting perfection. The tech and gadget guys will enjoy the toys and special effects. Overall, not a top scoring film but one to see if you haven’t already. Duchess note: I agree with Hollywood, Ledger is positively Oscar worthy.
GET SMART
I’m going to be totally blunt and say I’ve seen episodes of Sponge Bob Square Pants more entertaining than this film. It just didn’t capture the quick witted quirkiness of the original show. Hollywood hasn’t learned bad remakes aren’t worth filming. Viewers haven’t learned to boycott Hollywood when bad remakes are released. Put this one in file 69.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Glad you're back in swing! BTW, for those that care, there's an amazing history of The Joker, which dates back to the 1940s. There was alot of controversy back then because that Joker was brutal, insane and homicidal. The ratings boards back then censored much of The Joker antics from being published, so DC Comics had to turn him into more of a prangster, "village idiot" type. That continued through Cesar Romero (on TV) and Jack Nicholsen (in the early Batman movies). Heath Ledger's depiction is truest to the original Joker. You can read more of the fascinating history and controversy of "The Joker" at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_

BTW, can't wait to see "The Dark Knight" on Blu-Ray, to see if it's even more intense! Bet it looks great on the 50" LCD eh?