Saturday, December 13, 2008

QB CAMP

I was channel surfing recently. I stopped when I heard the rapper Snoop Dogg talking to his eldest son, Corde, who was attending a first rate football camp. The caliber of camp Joe Montana and Jerry Rice would grace with their presence. Snoop’s son decided bringing a few items, like football cleats, was not essential (he came out in loafers). This predictably didn’t go over well with the powers that be. Hence, the lecture from Snoop, “I’m not trying to chastise you. I’m just being real. Break the chain…Take full advantage, PLEASE.” He encourages him to desire a college education and to make it his priority. Snoop knows money can’t buy knowledge. Snoop also knows luck, not education, got him where he is today. He doesn’t want his son to take that gamble.

Most would think of Snoop as an aloof father. Reality shows us he wants the same things you and I want for our kids—the best we can give them. We strive to provide the opportunity, but our kids will have to work hard to make things happen. Snoop encourages his son to step up and make a name for himself. A name he would be proud of, not one developed on his Dad’s fame. Through all the ‘rapper’ exterior and jargon creating Snoop desperately wants him to succeed. As a parent, I constantly find myself reminding the boys to ‘take full advantage.’ I suppose we all do.

Again, I’m watching more TV than film! It’s just not right…I rented a few RedBox movies today. Reviews to follow.

No comments: