Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WEDNESDAY

I missed blogging yesterday. I was indulging in reading a book, which I hardly get a chance to do when I’m home. I went to the mall yesterday too. I was looking for more to read. I only brought one book with me thinking it would be plenty. Let me say--I had no awareness of how expensive fiction books are these days. I don’t typically have (or make) time to read fiction. Luckily, Librairie Renaud-Bray at Complexe Desjardins had one small (!) section of books in English. Needless to say, there wasn’t much to choose from--especially since I was looking for ‘light’ fiction. I walked 10 city blocks to get there. I figured I had no schedule to keep and would take advantage of the perfect weather. 50$CAN later, I had 3 books in hand. I finished one yesterday…. Do I dare buy more at those prices?

This morning while watching those around me at breakfast, I couldn’t help but notice all the business that was going on around me while I leisurely eat and read my book. Every morning, there are several groups of mostly men, selling something. I don’t listen to their conversations but every now and then I hear them talking $ numbers, so I’m thinking it’s some sort of sales triangle pitch that’s going on. The number is always big and delivered with borderline desperation of ‘please buy into this’ program. It reminds me that I’m here for pleasure and God help me if I ever get to the point of having to listen to a sales pitch for work. It doesn’t seem right.

That’s one group of interesting people watching. Next, there are the families with small children. I can’t figure out what they are doing in Montreal. Not much here for kids. And then, of course, there are single couples, typically seniors doing the retired traveling we all talk about. Sometimes the couple is one ‘senior’ man with a beautifully dressed younger woman. It reminds me I don’t want to limit myself to ‘retired’ traveling. My thought is I want to travel now while I can enjoy it with my growing boys. That would work beautifully, of course, if only the boys would enjoy traveling together. Last week I swore we would never travel as a family again because of all the fighting and whining I was putting up with. And so…that brings us full circle to the wonderful quiet time I’m having here in Montreal.

I heard from Kooza today:
«hola!!!!!
«i love u! alot
So ya,,,,,,
Bye «i`m having alot of fun!
That’s it. That’s all. No news is good news? I’m happy to hear the “i love u! a lot” part. I’m glad to hear he’s having a lot of fun. I’ll take this abbreviated message as a blessing!

On the agenda today: U2 in 3D at the science museum.

No comments: