Tuesday, July 8, 2008

REEL REVIEWS

Gone Baby Gone
I was a bit skeptical about this one. I knew it had received great reviews and awards, hence my hesitance to watch it. Typically, all the award winning movies are dark and depressing. Not true of this film. The subject matter is definitely on the dark side, but this film gives you more to think about—mostly wondering if doing ‘good’ (the ‘right’ thing) will always give you the happy ending. Kuddos to Ben Affleck! He (and his buddy Damon) should consider buying every Bostonian book out there, writing the adaptation screenplay, directing and releasing the movie. Affleck captures his native Boston like no other. Duchess is arriving at this conclusion on 2 films, this one and his Oscar winner, Good Will Hunting. There are so many elements I love in watching these films. Brother Casey does a fantastic job acting as the do-good protagonist. I’m feeling the Affleck brothers are all grown up. I can’t wait to see more from them. Caution: The typical Bostonian F-Bombs are included in this film. A 'must see' if you like films that give you something to think about and debate.

Hancock
Yet again, Will Smith makes his July 4th blockbuster. I liked it—I didn’t love it. All of the leading actors--Smith, Theron and Bateman--are on my list of favorites, so I had to see it. I like the premise of the film. The reality is I couldn’t help feeling this film was simply the introduction of more Hancock films to come. The hour of film time setting up the story was a clue. Hence, the bad reviews from published critics. Overall, you can’t go wrong with Will Smith. Duchess conclusion: this one will be just as good on DVD.

WALL-E
Imagine a Pixar short film becoming a feature film and you have the inspiration of this film. Creative (!!) and no words needed for you to understand. Kooza and I enjoyed watching this one, but some of our younger neighbors were bored and could only sit through half the film. The subject matter was a little too much for them to understand. Having said that, this story really makes you think about saving the earth, as well as where technology is taking society as a whole. I left the theater wanting to recycle more and eat less. Duchess couldn’t help but fall in love with WALL-E. He is a Pixar treasure! (His character is more developed than hero Hancock.) I would like to see more of WALL-E, and his friendly roach, with more story to tell.

No comments: