Wednesday, July 16, 2008

REEL REVIEWS

U2 IMax 3D
This is beyond a doubt, definitely, absolutely, hands down the best film Duchess has seen this year!! This is an absolute MUST see especially for U2 fans. IMax 3D they call ‘3ality.’ Is it showing in the States yet? Let me just say…the lights dim, the music starts, you hear “Hello, Hello” and the crowd goes mad!! A big “HOLA!” goes up on the screen behind the band (probably 4 stories high) and they’ve got you! You’re pulled in to the whole scene—lights, Bono, Edge, crowd with hands and cell phones in the air---beautiful!! You figure out a bit later they filmed in Buenos Aires. Bono even sings a few lines in Spanish (another plus for Duchess). They say you hear the concert in 36,000 watts. I’m not sure what that means, but I’m sure Doc does. Film with a message? Absolutely! The beginning line up goes something like this: Hello, Hello…It’s a Beautiful Day….All is Quiet on New Year’s Day….Love and Peace (!)…Lay Down Your Guns….How Long Must I Sing This Song??? These few lines alone tell you the message is “Coexista” (in Spanish) From: U2, To: the World. The word “Coexista” lights up the stage from the screen behind them and the outdoor stadium crowd goes mad, pumping open hands in the air in support of the message while singing at the top of their lungs. I am SO moved, tears are welling up in my eyes by the time “In the Name of Love” is sung. I begin asking myself, “How Long…?” How long before Bono’s peace filled World will exist? I’ve been a U2 fan forever. The Band’s message is as meaningful today as it was 25 years ago, perhaps even more so. In their “Rattle and Hum” film of years past, Adam is being interviewed and states that those around him have said, “you can’t mix music and politics,” to which Adam replies, “I think that’s bullshit.” He was right then and he is right now. This film is FULL of music and politics—the right kind. The hour and a half went by in what felt like 10 minutes. I didn’t want it to end…. Duchess note: I think the American crowds will be much more animated. The French crowd didn’t move. I only saw one other guy bouncing his head with me (must have been American). I wanted to raise my hands and light up the cell phone, but obviously that wasn’t good form.

2 comments:

Doc said...

Oooo, I'm so out of touch--a major U2 film and I didn't even hear a rumor about it. I'm checking on where it's playing right now. Thanks for the always excellent movie tips, although I haven't even switched on the TV in 5 weeks...

Doc said...

Ugh! There are only 7 cities in the U.S. showing this film, none less than 500 miles from here. I hope it tours to the St. Paul Science museum IMax theater so I can see it.