Monday, July 14, 2008

THE SECOND DAY

The good news is the sun is shining bright today. The bad news is the exchange rate, $0.89US=$1.00Canadian. There won’t be much shopping for me this week.

I read this morning in USA Today that vacationing was good for your health. I believe it. Apparently, the average employed American earns 14 vacation days a year compared to the average European who gets 30-35 days a year. Guess who’s healthier? The article goes on to predict even less Americans will vacation this year due to rising gas prices (gas here is $5.40US/gallon) which means the tourist industry, along with non-vacationing Americans, will suffer this year.

All I know is the streets of Montreal are packed. I’m staying downtown in Old Montreal which is the historic part of town near the river. It actually looks like a small European village. The photo above is one I took last year when we were here. (I forgot my camera-computer exchange cord, so I don’t know if I’ll have new photos to load this year.) Plaza Jacque Cartier, which is down the street a bit, is filled with outdoor cafes/restaurants, street performers and local artisans. Last year Kooza donated lots of cash to each hat or guitar box that was out for donations. He can’t wait until he is old enough to perform on the streets himself.

More later….

No comments: