Friday, May 22, 2009

REEL REVIEW

THE WRESTLER

I had to see what the ‘hoopla’ was about. I rented The Wrestler last weekend. I liked the edgy Mickey Rourke in the 80s. I couldn’t stand to see what seemed to be such a great career end in tragedy. Thank goodness for this movie I thought….

This one made my eyes pop out. First thought—okay, this was obviously written by a man. You should know this film is not for the weak or kind hearted. The subject matter is intense. I can’t remember what it was rated but I would vote NC-17 if I was on the panel of decision makers. Although the story is one that should certainly be told, basically filmed in documentary type style, this film was brutal on the human senses.

Rourke does play a great part. I feel he did deserve the awards--especially knowing this tale was similar to his own life. Heartbreaking. They say each of us has our own story. This film enhances that premise. I’ll never look at the guy behind the deli counter the same way.

Be prepared to see brutal honesty, a father-daughter relationship that can’t be repaired, strip clubs, steroids, self-inflicted wounds, and the extreme underworld of the wrestling community. Somber is the best word I can think of to describe this film.

*duchess*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I need to see this movie..thank you~