Wednesday, February 4, 2009

REEL REVIEW

So I put the DVD in the player…Scout and Pops are in the kitchen working on a snack for Scout (who is still in a cast). They see and hear the beginning of the film and Scout promptly says, “Mom, what?!?” then he sings (literally) “C.H.I.I.I.C.K F.L.L.I.I.C.K” followed by, “why do you always want to watch those movies?” To which I reply, “This one is nominated for an award, so I have to see it. I want to know what it’s all about.” I’m left in my bliss for a few moments….until the ensemble begins to belt out their first ABBA song, which immediately gets an “OMG! Mom! WHAT??” “Yes, it’s a musical.” “Okay, okay, I’ll watch this crazy movie with you, but only until I finish my snack.” That line was followed by lots of giggling and laughter on our parts, plus a few dance moves in the family room (not really, but could have been).

I wouldn’t put this film at the top of any list, but I have to say, it was GREAT entertainment! If you like musicals (with all the hokie quirkiness), and you’re looking for a sweet story with a few crazy giggles thrown in, ‘take a chance on’ this one. Be ready for comments from teenagers like “Did you really have to listen to this music when you were young?” and “Ohhhh no, here comes another song.” ...And have no doubt ladies, you'll likely watch this one alone--the men in your life will be moving to the next room...

Duchess notes: The vocals have much to be desired. Don’t look for perfection there. Meryl Streep’s wig was killing me. Why did they make her wear that? Perfect (!), beautiful location for the film’s background. Expect only entertainment from this light hearted film--which is quite refreshing among all the film topics we’re faced with these days. You'll find it hard not to smile while watching. Even Grandma will like this one.
*Duchess*

2 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Yeah, that wig was pretty awful. But that movie did make me want to take a vacation VERY badly. :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the movie, it was pretty entertaining! Though, my fiance' and all the boys in the house hated it!! :)