Thursday, April 30, 2009

REGIONAL COMPETITION

This past weekend Kooza and I traveled to the ‘big city’ of Lubbock for his regional competition. Kooza is a gymnast. His specialty is Trampoline and Tumbling.

I’m happy to report he came home with one GOLD medal and two SILVER medals after competing in his three events. Coming home with 3 medals for his first regional competition is outstanding. Texas was competing against 8 other states. I can’t name them all. (Sometimes ignorance is bliss you know.) We just wanted to go and ‘do our best.’ I think he did just that. He missed one gold medal finish by one-tenth of a point! That’s the crazy sport of gymnastics.

Overall, our ‘Team Air Force’ did really well. It was a very successful weekend for us. We still have more work before the season is over. The next 6 weeks will be spent preparing for Nationals for Kooza and a few other team members.

The weekend was full of mishaps and craziness in Lubbock---including watching the guy behind me try to pass a bottle of whiskey and a liter of coke through airport security! WHAT?! The same guy stole a wheelchair and fell back while 'popping a wheelie.' Believe me, lots of stories to tell. Luckily the craziness didn’t seem to phase Kooza. When it came time to compete, he was ‘in the zone.’

I’ve never considered myself a big city snob, but after this past weekend, I’m thinking maybe I am…. :)

1 comment:

Doc said...

Hooray for Kooza!
We've loved getting the updates on the competition and are very proud we know a world class gymnastic prodigy. Katie sends her best "high five" and "knuckles!"
Auntie B.